RSS Feed

HSF Challenge #6 Stripes!

Sorry about the prolonged absence. The wedding planning has been a bit overwhelming over late. The first tears (not my own thankfully) have been shed over the engagement party but I’m hoping we’ve now have a compromise that will suit everyone.

In the mean time, I have an event coming up which has prompted me to get another project ticked off my to do list. I will be creating an 18th century outfit, specifically a Robe a la Francais. The deadline for the HSF is tonight (unlikely to make) and the event is on Friday (more doable). I have just however realised that this is Good Friday and I was meant to be going away but that is a different issue…

With my time constraints I am unlikely to make period correct stays so I’ll just have to use some inaccurate underpinnings. However in order to get the correct shape, one thing I could definitely not skip were paniers!

Child bearing hips....

Child bearing hips….

These are incredibly fun to wear, even if you do have to go through doors sideways! I used the Dreamstress’ paniers-along tutorial to create them, it was simple and straight forward and I’m happy with the results. They are nearly done but I’m out of twill tape so the finishing touches will need to wait till I can get some more. At least I can pin it to my mannequin and start draping my dress.

Child bearing hips...

With petticoat

I’m totally in love with my paniers! Next up is the dress. This is the first time that I will be draping a dress and I’m a bit nervous… I’m using some gorgeous curtains that I bought second-hand. They have been sitting in my closet for about 2 years now and I have always envisioned them being used in this type of dress. They’re actually quite pink but my iPhone camera does weird things these days… It took hours to rip off the pieces on the top where it hooks on but now I’m just astonished at how much fabric there is!

I definitely need a better camera...

I definitely need a better camera…

I will be using Koshka’s sacque draping tutorial. She recommends starting with a base bodice lining so I used McCall’s 6139 Colonial pattern. It fit a bit oddly in the breast area but with a few darts now seems a bit more snug. I am very excited and just hope I can make it work!

This outfit will go well with the next challenge – Accessorizing – as I will be trying to make a wig to go with the outfit.


About aftermartha

I'm 21 years old and live in Auckland, New Zealand and I have a confession, I absolutely love costumes!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: